STRIKEWERX Spark Sprint (S3) is AFGSC’s competition to identify the best ideas from across the command to represent AFGSC during the 2021 Air Force Spark Tank competition.
Spark Tank is an annual competition where Airmen pitch innovative ideas for solving unit challenges to Air Force leadership and a panel of industry experts. The event is hosted annually at the Air Force Association’s Air Warfare Symposium, where attendees watch the top six finalists pitch their solutions to senior leaders who have the ability to further develop or implement the Airmen’s solution. The six finalists will be selected based on which projects have the highest probability of delivering game-changing impact to the Air Force within six months to two years. Specific criteria include: operational impact, prototype feasibility and cost, and ability to articulate a path forward.
AFGSC will invite and fund all wing finalists to Barksdale AFB to pitch their ideas at the fall Wing Commanders Conference. To prepare for the event, Airmen will receive coaching for how to best “pitch” their project. Each finalist will have three minutes to explain their idea, pitch their solution and present their video. They then have two minutes to answer questions. Gen. Timothy Ray, AFGSC commander, will announce the two AFGSC finalists who will represent the command at the 2021 Air Force Spark Tank competition.
The MAJCOM is down selecting six to come pitch at the event. This will be held Oct. 30 at 1 p.m. (subject to change). The event will be live streamed over Global Strike Command’s Facebook page for the public to view.
When AFGSC finalists are selected as one of the six Air Force finalists, AFWERX will assign them a pitch coach who will help them improve their pitch for AFA. Finalists will also attend a pitch training event, funded by AFWERX, to help further develop their presentation and pitch story. AFGSC Chief Scientist Office and A9L will remain engaged with the finalists and Spark Cells to continue to develop the Airmen’s project and ensure it has the most competitive advantage for the AFA competition.
AF Spark Tank Timeline:
- July 1: Competition begins
- Oct. 16: Deadline for submissions
- Oct. 30: S3 Pitch Competition held
- Jan. 7, 2021: AFWERX announces six finalists
- Feb. 25, 2021: Finalists pitch at AFA
- Every Friday, A9L and ST will have time slots available where Spark Cells can virtually meet to discuss Airmen’s ideas and get assistance with bettering technical and engineering aspects of ideas and projects. Email Capt Kaylie Braun, email@example.com, by COB Wednesday to be scheduled.
MAJCOM Submission Requirements:
- Package Submissions:
- Requires a completed entry in the Air Force Ideation platform. All wing finalist AFGSC Spark Tank competition submissions must be uploaded to the API platform at usaf.ideascalegov.com by Oct. 16.
- A video no longer than 3 minutes to summarize the idea and make their pitch.
- Videos are not required to be professionally produced
- The video must be reviewed by the wing’s PA office to ensure public releaseability prior to posting.
- The PA office will review and approve the video for public release, all videos will be uploaded to DVIDS using the accessioning tags “AFINNOFET” and “SparkTank2021” – PA will provide a link to DVIDS for the Spark Tank packages.
- All submissions must be accompanied by a public release statement addressed to SAF/PA, signed and dated by individual nominees. The statement will read verbatim:
- “I do or do not (circle one) agree to the use of Privacy Act information in the nomination narrative. This information may include Privacy Act information or Personally Identifiable Information (PII) found in DoD 5400.11-R, DoD Privacy Program, Disclosure of Personal Information to Other Agencies and Third Parties and guidance in Air Force Instruction 33-332, Air Force Privacy and Civil Liberties Program, Chapters 1, 2, and 6. I understand those transmitting personal information via email will exercise caution and adequately safeguard it in accordance with AFI 33-332, paragraph 2.5 and subparagraphs. The announcement message or any publicity regarding the award nomination will contain no privacy act information other than name, rank, and base of assignment.”
- The two wing finalists must each have a records review completed and signed by the Wing Commander or Vice Commander stating that “A records check was conducted on (date) and revealed no information that would bring discredit to the award or the United States Air Force.”
Instructions for using API:
- Login to the CAC-enabled API platform at usaf.ideascalegov.com
- First time users must register for an account using your .mil (not civ) email address and enable two-factor authentication.
- Users will receive an email to confirm registration. The link will likely begin with “caution.” Please omit the word caution and any < or > and copy the link starting with https://usaf.ideascalegov.com/
- Select “Submit New Idea”, top right corner
- From the campaign drop down, select “AFGSC STRIKEWERX Spark Sprint 2021”
- Complete the idea submission fields (A red * indicates required fields), be sure that no classified information is included
- Select “Submit Idea”